The origins of the Château de La Verrerie date back to 1422.
In this year, King Charles VII gave the County of Aubigny to John Stuart, Count of Darnley and Constable of Scotland, in recognition of his loyal services during the Hundred Years’ War in the battle against the English.
A small glass lakeside glass factory, which was demolished in 1815, inspired the name of “La Verrerie”.
However, the château was not built until the end of the 15th century, at which time Béraud Stuart, the grandson of John Stuart, returning from a campaign in Italy, constructed the main house to the side of the Chapel, that joined onto the Renaissance Gallery, which was built in 1525 by Robert Stuart, the son-in-law of Béraud Stuart and a comrade-in-arms of Bayard.
- In 1670, the last Stuart of Aubigny died and the Château de La Verrerie, as laid down in King Charles VII deed of donation, was returned to the French crown.
- King Louis XIV, acting on a decree of 18 March 1673, gave the land back to Charles II, King of England, who was the direct male descendant of John Stuart. In the same year, at his request, it was given as a gift to his mistress, Louise de Kérouaille, Duchess of Portsmouth.
- In 1734, the Duke of Richmond, son of Louise de Kérouaille and Charles II inherited the seigniory, raised to a duchy-peerage.
- In 1842, the heirs sold the Château and the land of Aubigny to Léonce de Vogüé, the ancestor of the current owners.
- In 1895, Marquis Louis de Vogüé built the south wing which now houses the reception rooms and most of the bedrooms.
- In 1962, Count Antoine de Vogüé, who had then been Mayor of Oizon since 1953 – and who would go on to become the Cher departmental councillor in 1964 and was re-elected to both positions – settled permanently in the ground floor of the north wing.
- In 1965, he opened the château to visitors and joined the Route Jacques Cœur association.
- In 1978, his wife, Countess Antoine de Vogüé, opened the ‘La Maison d’Hélène’ restaurant. In 1982, she started welcoming guests to the chambre d’hôtes. She now lives in the large house to the rear of the restaurant, known as the ‘Gros Chêne’.
- In 1993, their son Count Béraud de Vogüé and his family took over the family business on their return from Canada and the USA.
The only owner of La Verrerie to have been born there, he works relentlessly to promote La Verrerie and other private châteaux that belong to the association ‘La Route Jacques Cœur’, over which he presides.
Every winter, the association ‘Les Amis du Château de La Verrerie’, which was founded in 1999, organizes concerts in the Grand Salon of the Château.